Wednesday, March 16, 2011

On Hold




I have been doing variations of this one for a long time now... one of those "can't quite get it right" things. Mostly I want to work on making amusing, readable moments (storytelling) + good design.... this one's not there yet.

This is also one of my weaker inkings of the character, but it's the first time I've tried to solve the whole figure. His left hand really bugs me. Is he trying to give someone a knuckle bump? Anyway this will be a several day project and I'd love some feedback. What might be an amusing caption if this were a one panel comic?

2 comments:

Jeff Call said...

I keep wondering, what if he IS giving someone a knuckle bump, like an Addams Family Thing type character. But then his face should be happy, and he should be saying aside to the character, "The third pizza is free."

Or, put a coupon in his left hand, make him just a little more angry, and have the caption read, "Whaddya mean my buy-one-get-one free coupon has expired?"

Love the right hand, the pants and his face, but I wish the phone wasn't touching his face b/c it messes with the silhouette.

Scott C. Gwynn said...

Great suggestions! I'm probably going to roll with the coupon one... or something like it. I was aware of the phone-face tangent. I've got a strong tangent radar you know (the make me feel sad). Don't worry, everything is under control.